On October 1, 2020, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will officially begin enforcing the REAL ID Act of 2005 at airports. This will require all Americans to present REAL ID-compliant identification to go through security.
Americans aren’t prepared: A majority (57%) are unaware of the October 1, 2020 deadline. Furthermore, an estimated 182 million Americans (72%) either have a standard driver’s license or are unsure whether their ID is REAL ID-compliant, and an estimated 99 million Americans (39%) do not have any form of identification (e.g. passport, U.S. military ID, enhanced driver’s license) that would be accepted on October 1, 2020.
Use the resources in this toolkit to encourage Americans to get #REALIDready today.
Messaging Best Practices
In order to ensure we are clear, concise and consistent, the following best practices are encouraged when you are communicating about REAL ID to the traveling public:
- Use a common hashtag: #REALIDReady and #REALID in social media copy
- Use a common tagline: If you don't have the star, you won't go far
- Ensure that other acceptable forms of ID are communicated as alternates (see fact sheet for details)
- Direct consumers to their state DMV for the latest information
- Encourage all travelers to share information with their friends and family