This position is responsible for developing U.S. Travel Association messaging for use across digital platforms, with an emphasis on communicating via social media. In addition to strong writing, copyediting and proofreading skills, candidates must have full competencies in digital storytelling, including experience with graphic design and video editing for social channel use.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and implementation of digital communications strategies for Public Affairs and Industry Communications, ensuring a connected, integrated approach.
- Think strategically and tactically on how U.S. Travel can utilize social media to promote policy, advocacy and campaign goals.
- Manage the industry facing—excluding event specific—U.S. Travel social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram) and continually grow audience, engagement and impressions.
- Write, copyedit and proofread content for use on social and digital channels.
- Suggest and draft thought-leadership pieces for U.S. Travel’s senior leadership team on social media (mainly executives’ LinkedIn accounts).
- Develop and implement U.S. Travel's social media strategy as related to its primary, non-events related social media platforms, including the Travel Action Network, the association’s grassroots platform, as well as industrywide activations and campaigns.
- Create and manage a digital editorial calendar, establishing a fluid schedule that guides the proactive development of original, frequently updated content.
- Draft and manage social media plans and work with the marketing and graphic design team to create corresponding graphics.
- Serve as primary web content manager for www.ustravel.org—coordinating with departments across the organization to develop website materials including toolkits, new pages and integrated content. Proactively manage web content.
- Regularly monitor, track and compile analytics from the organization’s digital involvement, establishing metrics/benchmarks for activities and measure success against them. Recommend and implement necessary changes to improve ROI.
- Coordinate with the Marketing department on digital media buys.
- Develop outreach strategies for social media influencers, the media, industry leaders, policy makers and other key targets working closely with grassroots and media teams.
- Identify and recommend new platforms or techniques that organize U.S. Travel’s social media channels.
- Track and identify related issues and industry news on social media and Capitol Hill and recommend engagement strategies.
- Stay informed on social media trends and the ever-changing environment, advising on future courses of action and guiding on best practices.
- Teamwork: Demonstrating and promoting a spirit of cooperation within and outside work unit; working together toward a common goal; building good relationships with internal and outside work unit; building good relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Communication: Conveying written and oral communications effectively; negotiating and mediating effectively; sharing information; listening attentively, and responding appropriately.
- Initiative: Recognizing the need for action; confronting issues and taking appropriate action; pursuing an issue until the problem is solved.
- Developing Staff: Training, coaching and counseling others continually to improve; developing capabilities through formal and informal training and coaching; developing backup capabilities; helping direct reports in their pursuit of career goals.
- Problem Solving: Identifying problems affecting the work unit or U.S. Travel Association; taking early corrective action to avoid problems; generating new ideas and practical solutions.
- Feedback: Comfortable offering and receiving feedback and in search of constant self-improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years of experience in communications, marketing or related field.
- At least two years of experience managing social and digital media; strong knowledge of digital trends and best practices.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite. Video editing and basic graphic design skills, plus knowledge of HTML, strongly preferred.
To apply, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Manager, Digital Communications” listed in the subject line.